Wednesday, July 20, 2011

currying favor

by Lisa


I heartily encourage you to get yourself a head of cabbage and make this simple dish for dinner tonight. I don't quite remember how I found this recipe, but when I did, it was love at first sight.


Five-Minute Indian-style Cabbage
from herbavoracious
  • 1/2 head green cabbage, cored and sliced thin
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or ghee (clarified butter), or mustard oil, or more to taste
  • 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • optional garnish: cilantro, lemon juice
  1. Heat a large skillet or wok over a medium-high flame. Add the oil, wait 10 seconds, and immediately add the mustard seeds.
  2. As soon as they start to pop, add the rest of the spices and any optional ingredients and stir-fry for 10 more seconds. Move quickly here so you infuse the flavor in the oil but don't burn them.
  3. Add the cabbage and salt, and stir-fry until crisp-tender or tender, your preference. Taste and adjust seasoning.
  4. Garnish with cilantro and/or lemon juice. (As much as I love this on other curries, I don't find it necessary for this dish.)

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

umm...how have I not been following this blog? arggggg i love that you are posting. Questions:

1) what is mustard oil.
2) black mustard seeds???
3) If I don't like the taste of normal (yellowy spready) mustard, am I going to like this dish?
4) pps. I miss you.