I heartily encourage you to get yourself a head of cabbage and make this simple dish for dinner tonight. I don't quite remember how I found this recipe, but when I did, it was love at first sight.
Five-Minute Indian-style Cabbage
- 1/2 head green cabbage, cored and sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or ghee (clarified butter), or mustard oil, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- optional garnish: cilantro, lemon juice
- Heat a large skillet or wok over a medium-high flame. Add the oil, wait 10 seconds, and immediately add the mustard seeds.
- As soon as they start to pop, add the rest of the spices and any optional ingredients and stir-fry for 10 more seconds. Move quickly here so you infuse the flavor in the oil but don't burn them.
- Add the cabbage and salt, and stir-fry until crisp-tender or tender, your preference. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Garnish with cilantro and/or lemon juice. (As much as I love this on other curries, I don't find it necessary for this dish.)